Monday, July 27, 2009

Rickrack, Modge Podge, Glue Guns....OH MY!

I am what one would call creative. I am not what you would call crafty. Now I do have moments of crafting genius....but these are few and far between. A few successes include:

Appliqued kid's t-shirts
Ribbon covered barrettes
Digital scrapbook templates
Hand painted t-shirts and jean jackets (this was back in my high school days)
Crocheted flowers

Incomplete or complete failure projects include:
any sewing project involving a pattern (selvadge, raw edge, bobbin=confusing. Seam ripper is the one thing I truly understand)
Fabric pom-poms (tried this one tonight....not good)
Stockings (really really bad)
Knitted ANYTHING!


You see, I have all these ideas running through my head all throughout the day (such as now....when I should be going to sleep) but I just cannot flip that damn creative switch off.

I go into places like Michael's or JoAnn's or Home Depot or even the back room at my mother's interior design studio (where piles and piles of fabric and trim await me) and my mind just starts racing. Hm....what can I do with this? or maybe I could do that? or wait a minute look at this....oh so cute I have to make something and I have to do it now!

This happened today when sorting through discontinued fabric samples at my mom's studio. I just could not bear to throw away a beautiful Brunschwig & Fils fabric that probably sold for $200/yd! (In fact, this particular fabric along with a darling Scalamandre will become twirly skirts for Molly. As soon as I can find a YouTube tutorial video) So many gorgeous fabric samples just beckoning to be pleated, sewed, braided, ripped, cut, appliqued, the list goes on and on (kind of like my brain). Seriously...I need a yellow legal pad (yellow, not white. White is boring) and one of my good pens (Sharpie Pen please) so I can start making a list of all the things I want to make!

I had a genius idea one day that I was going to start a side business called Creativeleigh. Now for those of you who still think my name is pronounced "Le-ah" this may not make any sense to you, but follow along. The tag line for Creativeleigh was "finishing the projects you never have time for" or something along those lines. But then I realized that I am my ideal customer. How can I help people when I can't even finish what I start! I have come to the conclusion that my problem isn't that I am not crafty. My problem is that I cannot seem to finish what I start and that may have something to do with having major ADHD and wanting to start a bizillion projects at once. So what I want, and I'm marking this on my list (another yellow legal pad please) of things I want to accomplish this year, is to start & finish & master a craft project. I want to be a proficient crafter. By the end of this year I will call myself crafty and have something to show for it. And there will be pictures....oh yes, there will be pictures!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who knew you could write so well? Love the blog. How do you ever have the time? I remember those days of children and work. Guess that's where my energy went. Don't have it any more.

Heidi said...

If we all just had more hours in the day and didn't have to WORK, we COULD get all those craft projects done. At least we have good intentions!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com